Scott Kravitz


After many false starts, Scott Kravitz and I finally had a conversation about his story telling.

1. How did you get into stop-motion animation?

I couldn't draw like my friend growing up. While he was doing fanzines I started sculpting, but I was never satisfied with making sculptures that stood still. I found I like the tactical work with the clay. Loom took 4.5 years to make but I did it on my own with some friends acting as advisors.





2. How did you get started on the live storytelling circuit?

I went to see Porchlight in San Francisco (Scott's home town). Each show has a theme and 6-7 writers have 10-20 minutes to tell a story on that theme. The basic rules are No Notes, Stay on Theme and tell a True Story.

During intermission you can put your name in the hat if you'd like to be added to the line up. That person gets 2 minutes to tell their own story. My name was called and, afterwards, they invited me to perform in another show.


3. What keeps you going back to the live storytelling shows?

It's always terrifying, but I think there's a bit of a thrill factor for me. David Rakoff, at Portland's WordStock, spoke beautifully about how writing fulfills the desire to have a voice. I think that is also why I keep doing the live shows. It helps me make sense of the world and myself, as well as connect with other people. Early on I established a rule for myself - never turn down an invitation. Unless you have a good financial or logistical excuse, the only reasons to turn down an invitation are fear and/or laziness.





4. What inspires you?

Inspiration is a difficult word. I'm always inspired by watching others who are good at what they do. But it doesn't explain what motivates me to do my own work. That has a lot to do with the knowledge that I'm not going to be here forever. If I don't do it now, I never will. I don't know where the live story telling is going but it is fun finding out.


5. What are you working on now?

Well, I just finished the Christmas animation of NBC's Community that aired a few weeks ago. I have a comedy script almost finished for a new animated short film and in January I will be starting on a feature length film with Universal in Vancouver.


See more of Scott's work HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment