Project Matt

Matt Ford aka DJ Project Matt and I met in May. I asked for his interview in September. . .good things happen to those who wait and what a way to end the year!


What inspires you?

Living in NYC. The hustle of making a life here. Having creative friends that are doing amazing things. Traveling and experiencing new things. Living outside of my comfort zone.


How long have you been DJ'ing, how did you get into it and where did the moniker DJ ProjectMatt come from?

I've been DJ'ing in NYC for about 6 years now. I had grown up in the midwest collecting punk rock records. When I moved out of my mom's place, I moved in with some raver kids that had TONS of drum and bass records. I would just hop on their tables and mess around until I had matched the beat. I started collecting some house records and never really took it seriously. I moved to Minneapolis in 1995 and around 1999-2000, we started throwing small hip hop shows and were bringing out live acts from the west coast. Andre Nickatina and Sacred Hoop were just a few. A lot of my friends there were real DJs so I left that up to them. I stayed behind the scenes doing the bookings and footwork.


When I moved to NYC in 2003, the name Project Matt was given to me from a friend and infamous NYC bartender Matt K. I had was throwing a party with a couple of friends and ended up DJ'ing as well, but played mostly down south rap like Three 6 Mafia and Project Pat. Since I didn't technically have a DJ moniker, and because of my love for Project Pat, Project Matt was formed. That night was also the beginning of my DJ career. From that night on, I went on to do tons of monthly and one-off parties all over NYC.


The name stuck like glue and I decided to run with it. Now, since Matt is a hugely popular name, adding the "Project" has become a real part of my name. Even my Etsy business cards read Project Matt.


What is the music scene in NY and LA right now?

I have no idea what the music scene in LA is like right now to be honest with you.


In NYC, there are some really good parties going on. The best parties are in lofts, away from the corniness. Weekly parties like RANDO are usually a good time. Mister Saturday Night out in Brooklyn is a great party. Sunday's Best and the Rub are also fun.


What is your favorite type of music/music to spin?

I really love and appreciate all kinds of music. When I was a kid my dad was a DJ at a country music radio station in Indianapolis and I remember enjoying the stuff he was playing back then. I'm DEF not saying that I'm a country music fan, but I feel the emotion and energy behind it. Currently, I'm playing mostly old and new disco and house. Anything fun really. I still love rap music, but I'm finding myself really bored with it.


Here is the mix Matt did for Whtpaper. . .download it here - Soundcloud.
WHTPAPER.MIX.2011 by ProjectMatt

No comments:

Post a Comment